Saturday, January 19, 2008

Second week of first quarter

Second week was different from many others we had till now.
We worked on the Marketing memo over the last weekend and submitted the same. The Finance assignment has been done too.
The internship process is showing its affect. People are not that concentrating on classes ad it is totally understandable. There were people who received a couple of interview calls. There are a couple who interviewed already and waiting for the result. People started panicking whether they will receive a call leave internship. I understand the concern, but, there is nothing more than being patient and continuing the networking efforts.
As I see the whole process, the internships in consulting will at most be 3 or 4. This is very different from full time scenario, when 20-30 people will have consulting jobs. Finance and Marketing are the most and between these two definitely Marketing is the most sought after by recruiters.
My efforts to push my resume outside are going on. I sent my resume to people whose contact I got from the Kelley database. It takes lot of time and effort to contact them. But, it is like a practice.You can talk to these people and see how they listen to your story. I am trying to do the same thing.
I had an interview with my career coach and she commented that I am being modest to put forth my achievements. In retrospect I was. I do get many examples from my experience to strengthen my case for a job, but, I feel I should not boast. There is a line between being cocky and confident. I am not even close to the latter leave the former. I practiced a little today and am feeling good. Also, she told that I speak in high pitch and speak faster when I get a little tensed or uncomfortable. These are things that I do unconsciously. Many times I told myself that I have to control these consciously. I tried too and am partially successful.
The report on report on HP and Compaq has to be postponed to the time I get to do some more analysis on that. I think I can do that only after a couple of weeks.
The friend I mentioned in the previous post has got a call from IIM-K and another friend from IIM-L,K,I and another from IIM-L. I hope they convert them. Also, may be one day we all will be presidents and directors of various organizations. May be this is how we see friends taking higher positions at various companies these days. May be they were like us a couple of decades ago. Of course, I am dreaming as usual. :).
The quarterly system has got its own side effects. You have to write a midterm after three weeks. Next week we have one. :(.

PS: I advise applicants to not to apply to business schools in US unless they have at least 4-5 years of experience or 2-3 years of tremendous experience. The typical software engineer will not convince recruiters as there are plenty of them. You need to show them how you can leverage your past experience along with B-school experience to add value to the company. It is just the basics. Business schools in US are not like in India, where you can just crack CAT and crunch numbers and get a good job. It is not criticism. It is just to point out the difference in the recruitment process and preferences.

2 Comments:

Sid said...

Hey IA,

I have been following your blog even when back in India(left a couple comments on your posts also). Glad to hear from you. Presume you are full throttle into your intern search. Good luck with that.

Pssst.. I guess I am an exception wrt. to your post, just had an yr experience with TCS(could not have survived for more :-)) but truly agree with you coz' I see that many others with similar IT profiles are having a tough time here differentiating themselves..

Best,
Sid

Unknown said...

I think that any method used to help spread the word is helpful and the internet has a vast and far reaching arm. I would be more than happy to receive any additional information. What I have read makes sense to me.



Persuasive Essay